Kintu Expeditions Machupicchu Tour:.choquequirao
CHOQUEQUIRAO 5 DAYS / 4 NIGHTS
Is situated in the spurs of the Salkantay mountain range, at 3035 masl surrounded by snow capped peaks of Yanama, Ampay, Choquetacarpu and Pumasillo on the right side of Apurimac River in the Santa Teresa district, province of Cusco. Choquequirao is an Inca town formed by small sites spread out in rubblework that in its adjoining constructs a complex metropolis similar to those of the other regions placed on the crest of the hill by the same name of Choquequirao.
Day 01: Cusco - Cachora - Cocamasana – Playa Rosalina
We leave from Cusco at 4:00am in the morning. Arriving at Cachora town at 7:30 in the morning where we will have our breakfast. Here we will have a late breakfast, meet our wranglers and arrange our equipment on mules and horses. It is a 2 hour hike to Capuliyoc (2915m) from where we have our first beautiful views of the Apurimac valley stretching below as well as the snow-capped peaks of Padrayoc and Wayna Cachora. We then descend toward Coca Masana (2330m) where the climate becomes noticeably warmer and the flora and fauna begin to change. Finally we arrive at Playa Rosalina (Rosalina Beach) at 1550m beside the raging Apurimac River where we will set up camp and spend the night.
Day 02: Rosalina beach – Choquequirao
This is considered the hardest of the 5 days. After an early breakfast to climb a steep trail. It is a 5 hour hike to Raqaypata beside the Chunchullumayo River where we will have a late lunch and a much deserved rest. Along we way we will observe many orchids and wild flowers as well as many birds. From Raqaypata to Choquequirao (3035m) is a 2 hour hike. We will arrive at the archaeological site in time to enjoy the sunset and maybe the opportunity to see a Condor flying nearby. Our campsite will be just outside the ruins.
Day 03: Choquequirao – Raqaypata
Today is dedicated to exploring the incredible ruins of Choquequirao. Our guide will explain the history and importance of the site. After you will have free time to visit the many sectors of the complex. Late in the afternoon we will start the return trek and camp the night at Raqaypata.
Day 04: Raqaypata – Chikisca
After breakfast we continue our return trek with a steep descent towards the Apurimac River where we will stop and have lunch. In the afternoon we will climb for approximately 4 hours to our final campsite at Coca Masana.
Day 05: Chikisca - Cachora – Cusco
Our last day of trekking. We will appreciate the canyon that forms the Apurimac River. We will take a new trail that crosses the throat of the canyon. We will have an impressive view since Wayna Qalli toward the canyon, considerate like the most spectacular in Sud America. Arriving to Cachora we wil take our bus toward Cusco.
What is included:
• Collection from your hotel in the morning and transfer in private bus to Cachora, the starting poing of the trek
• English speaking professional guide
• Meals 4 Breakfasts / 4 Lunches / 4 Dinners
• Cook and cooking equipment
• Horsemen and horses (to carry tents, food and cooking equipment)
• 1 emergency horse
• Transfer to return from Cachora to Cusco
• Igloo tents 2 people in each 3-people-capacity tents, to allow for higher comfort and a safe keeping of backpacks
• Rolling mattress
• Dinner tent
• Toilet tent
• Kitchen tent
• Tables & seats
• Table set
• First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
What is not included:
• Breakfast on the first day
• Dinner on the last day
• Sleeping bag
What you need to bring and carry:
• A backpack with a change of clothes for the whole period of the trek
• Rain jacket or poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco)
• Strong footwear, ideally trekking or sport shoes
• Warm clothes, including jacket, fleece and sweaters
• Sleeping bag (it can be hired at our agency for US$ 4.00 / day)
• Mattress: will be provided by the agency but is to be carried by you
• Flashlight and batteries
• Camera, films and batteries (batteries consume more quickly under cold conditions)
• Hat or cap to protect you from the sun, rain or cold
• Sun block
• Insect repellent
• Toilet paper
• Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, etc.
• Water bottle and sterilizing tablets (ie. Micropur)
• Small towel
• Swimsuit (if you intend to go to the hot springs)
• Cash in soles and/or US$
• Optional: walking sticks or poles
Optional services to be hired:
• An extra horse to carry your personal items: A horse can carry up to 20 kg.
• Sleeping Bag rent